Hi everyone! I hope you’ve had a great start to your weekend, whatever it is that you’re doing. I thought that with it being the first post-holidays weekend, I’d share something that you may find helpful, if you’re looking to wind down a little after all the partying and celebrations. (I mean, we stayed home and didn’t actually get up to much except enjoy the fireworks display from up the hill, 2 minutes from our house. But I still feel like I could do with some relaxed TV time.)
So here are some of my most favourite films. I’m not going to harbour any illusions about being able to recall my absolute top 10 at this time, but I’ll do my best.
I just realised that I can’t really put them in any particular order, so I’ll just chuck them all in here. Also, I’ll add links to their IMDB pages because if I started to give you synopsis of each one you’d still be reading this post next Saturday.
My Top 10 Favourite Films
- The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I think this being the first one to be mentioned won’t come as a surprise to anyone (even though they’re not supposed to be in any particular order but… it’s Lord of the Rings!). There’s something so powerful and overwhelming about these films and what they brought with them for me. It introduced me to a world I’d never imagined, with new friendships and adventures.
- Love Actually. Another ‘typical’ favourite. But there’s this something that makes me so cosy and warm every time I watch it. And a bit sad. But in the end leaves me believing that everything is possible.
- The Other Woman. I love this one! I watch this film when I’m feeling in need of a pick-me-up. I find it really fun to watch but it also acts as a reminder how a really bad situation can turn itself around if you give it a chance. Sounds cheesy but it works!
- Harry Potter 1 & 2. I can already hear you say ‘But what about 3-7?’ The truth is that even though I’m more than ready to watch them all again (maybe with the exception of the 7th ones which didn’t really work for me at all), the first two films captured the essence of Harry Potter the best for me.
- The Age of Adaline. I absolutely love Blake Lively and I think she did an amazing job in this one. It’s unexpected, heartfelt and a true feel-good film.
- John Wick 1 & 2. If you’re into action films, I’m sure you’ve already seen these. If you’ve not then you’re really and truly missing out. Keanu Reeves is absolutely nothing short of amazing in these and it’s one of the rare cases where the sequel is actually as good as the first film.
- Tangled. You know this list is put together by me when John Wick is followed by Tangled… Anyway, I think this is one of my favourite Disney films. I don’t think I need to say any more about this. It’s a Disney film, I’m sure you all know what to expect.
- The Avengers. That’s another obvious one. In fact, I could easily have made this list all about the recent superhero films, but that wouldn’t have been very exciting, I don’t think. Also, The Avengers brings together so many of them that it felt the most appropriate one to put on my list.
- Deadpool. As I was going through the list of films that I have given 10 stars to on IMDB (yes, such a list exists), I came across Deadpool and could’ve smacked myself for almost forgetting to include it here! I mean, when I first saw it, after the starting credits I felt like I’d already gotten my money’s worth. When I next saw it, after the starting credits I already felt like I’d gotten my money’s worth. It’s one of those films that I can’t watch without laughing myself silly. Ryan Reynolds makes an excellent Deadpool and I’m really excited to see the next one!
- Chef. Maybe a bit of an unexpected one, but it really deserves to be here. The ultimate feel-good film centering around food. I mean, what else could I ask for?
As I’d filled the 10th slot, I realised how many more films I want to add to this. So I’m going to write more posts around certain genres (I mean, I only managed to squeeze one Disney film in here!).
I’d love to know what your favourite films are and if we share any!
I’m off to enjoy the rest of my Saturday night now, possibly with one of the above mentioned films 😉
P.S This featured photo has absolutely nothing to do with films, but I’ve been sitting on it for so long without having the chance to use it. It was taken on that day when everything was eerily yellow/grey from the desert sands and wildfires. Somehow that yellowness made me feel so uneasy and uncomfortable, but I still love this picture!